Jim and I recently had the great honor to have dinner with Dr. Ron Paul and his lovely wife, Carol, while they were in Philadelphia. Two of the most humble, genuine and inspiring people we've ever met, they're the type of rare individuals who inspire greatness in everyone they touch. I am a better person for knowing them as they're the epitome of excellent role models in every sense.
Carol Paul was kind enough to share a few of her favorite recipes from the Ron Paul Family Cookbook! Of course, I've wasted no time delving into them.
Grapefruit, Avocado & Kalamata Salad is a gorgeous, refreshing salad perfect for a dinner party or a light summer lunch. A delightful blend of suculent sweet grapefruit supremes, unctuous salty olives and luxuriously rich avacado all dressed up in olive oil & lime!
This beautiful salad now has an extra special place in the Porter Family Cookbook as well:)
Michael's Grapefruit, Avocado & Kalamata Salad (Serves 4)
- 2 ruby red grapefruit, peeled, deveined & supremed
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- juice of 1/2 lime or more to taste
- best quality extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- kalamata olives
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Lightly & gently drizzle the avocado slices with lime juice to prevent discoloring (being careful not to bruise the slices)
- Arrange the grapefruit supremes and avocado sections on individual serving plates
- Sprinkle several kalamata olives around the each plate.
- Drizzle each plate with extra virgin olive oil
- Finish each salad with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
Adapted from the Ron Paul Family Cookbook, original recipe by Sabrina Forbes, Seattle, WA
Question of the day:
Have you had the chance to meet any of your role models in person?
Who are/is your hero/s?