Fettuccini with Toasted Walnuts, Parsley & Parmigiano Reggiano is one of my favorite go-to dinners when I'm short on time and in need of wholesome nutrition.
Essentially a deconstructed pesto, this satisfying meal is packed with antioxidant rich whole wheat pasta, fresh Italian parsley, a punch of garlic and the delicious, bacony crunch of toasted walnuts all topped with authentic Parmigiano Reggiano.
Total perfection in every bite!
*As always, using the highest quality ingredients possible is key. Those few extra dollars spent stocking your kitchen with the freshest, organic ingredients available will train your taste buds away from low quality convenience foods which are usually quite pricey in comparison.
Fettuccini with Toasted Walnuts, Parsley & Parmigiano Reggiano
- 12 oz high quality Italian whole wheat fettuccini (whole wheat pasta can be delicious- my two favorites: Bionaturae & Delallo) Update* If you're gluten free, use Quinoa fettuccini- my new Fav!
- 1/4 cup best quality extra virgin olive oil Update* I would now use just a tablespoon of olive oil- even more likely I'd sub coconut oil which has amazing health and beuty benefits including balancing the thyroid.
- 2/3 cup + a bit extra reserved for garnishing, organic walnuts, coarsley chopped & toasted (I toast mine on a piece of tin foil in my toaster oven til fragrant & browned) Update* Tho toasted nuts are delish, I've since learned it turns their fats into harmful fats:-( However, my new recommendation, sprouted, rehydrated walnuts are even MORE delish- and even healthier than the raw version!
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf Italian parsley + extra reserved for garnishing
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Update* my home-made recipe for vegan Parmigiano Reggiano coming soon! Meantime, substitute vegan parmigiano)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare pasta al dente or according to package directions and drain into a colander. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the pasta pot over low heat. Add the garlic and stir just til softened & fragrant- 2-3 minutes.
- Return pasta to the pot. Add the broth, walnuts, chopped parsley and sea salt and pepper. Toss everything together to combine then cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the grated Parmigano and toss once more.
- Serve immediately in pasta bowls, garnishing the tops of each with the remaining reserved toasted walnuts and chopped parsley.
Recipe Tested & Approved from Ellie Krieger