Blueberry-Coconut-Macadamia Muffins Bathed in Honey
Honey melting over a moist interior of sweet, luscious, berry-laden... Um, perhaps whilst I go get another muffin 'twould be fine to let this one speak for itself :-)
I make them all the time.
They're very good!
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut
3 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
6 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts, divided
2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see Source) or whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg
1 large egg white
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon coconut or vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (don't thaw) blueberries
honey to serve alongside
- Preheat oven to 400 F and coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine coconut, 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 3 tablespoons macadamia nuts in a small bowl. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, stir to combine and set aside.
- Whisk the remaining 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, egg, egg white, buttermilk, butter and coconut extract in a medium bowl until well combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients; stir until just combined (do not over-mix or you will have a tough muffin). Gently fold in blueberries and the remaining 3 tablespoons nuts just til combined. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the reserved coconut topping on top, gently pressing into the batter.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack at least 5 minutes more before serving.
- Serve your favorite honey alongside.
PS. Blueberry-Coconut-Macadamia Muffins freeze beautifully. Just wrap each individually in saran then place in freezer. Reheat in oven or toaster-oven on 350 F until heated through.
Recipe adapted from EatingWell